This project is based on several ideas:
- We believe that people who have experienced substance misuse problems have a role to play in helping others. Their experience and understanding should not be wasted when it can be used to support people trying to recover from their own substance misuse.
- We believe that the experience and learning that mentors gain should be a valuable aid to them in their personal or career development.
- We believe that peer support is a useful addition to other interventions and not necessarily a replacement for them.
- We do not believe that any particular approach to helping people is better or worse than others.
- We believe that recovery is something that people do themselves. We will do our best to help but we do not take responsibility for the outcome whatever that may be.
- We believe that physical and other activities can be a useful aid to recovery.
- We believe that other organisations and individuals are doing valuable work in this field and we wish to work with them whenever appropriate.